I’m usually pretty amiable about doing meeting people for coffee, if I can make my schedule work out for it. I’m especially when it’s someone like this, who is an initiate in a different line of witchcraft from mine, but interested in some of the same things.
My newsletter continues to be the best source for all the things I’ve written recently (plus other links and things of interest I’ve come across that fortnight) but I just added four new articles here:
Looking through the site statistics, I also thought it might be fun to take a look every so often and do some pointers and quick answers for things people were searching for. If you’ve got questions you’d like me to answer of that kind (where to find a thing or wondering whether I’d write something about a particular topic) feel free to contact me through the contact form.
It came from the search terms…
Here are some queries from the last quarter:
I had several queries about this: “honoring god and the goddesss”, “how to work with a deity”, “deities that work”. I have a series of articles up about deity work that will get you started with the first two. (You can find all three on the Doing page.)
- Relationships with deities : start with this article about how Pagan practices honour deity.
- Learning about a deity : once you have the basic ideas, here are ideas on learning more.
- Deepening interactions with a deity : how to explore more, and deepen your experience.
The last one hits a question that’s come up a few times in other places – “I asked my deity for this thing, why didn’t it work”. That one’s on my list for an article sometime soon.
Witchcraft in practice
Queries for “religion and witch craft”, “how to practice wicca every day”.
I have an article on Daily Practices, and the Adapting section has a number of articles about adapations, especially the Chronic Illness and Pagan Practice article which has a number of low-exertion daily or regular practices.
Another query was “Steps to do a ritual”. Here’s my article on the steps of ritual.
Another question was about “grounding spells”. I actually don’t consider grounding to be a ‘spell’, and this made me realise that explaining spells versus other kinds of magical work is an article I haven’t written yet! Added to my list. Grounding, however, has an article, and I just expanded it with a section on elemental grounding.
Questions not for this site!
“what do you put on a buddhist shrine”
And just baffling
“leprechaun at altar places” I’m still trying to figure out how to parse that one. (Maybe “What does it mean if you see a leprechaun near an altar?” or “where can you see a leprechaun at an altar?”)
As a way of providing updates across all my sites and spaces, I’ve got a new newsletter – it’s the best way to learn about updates and other resources (and also my new research consulting business, though there will always be a lot more general useful info than business specific stuff.)
Between Solstice and Boxing Day, I overhauled the site! New things include:
- New categories of pages
- Beginning : basic terms and ideas to help you understand the rest of the site.
- Building: how to begin to build a practice for yourself.
- Doing: specific skills and practices in religious witchcraft
- Learning: books, resources, and library information
- Connecting : help with reaching out to groups and Pagan events.
- Adapting : if you have specific needs, check this out for ideas and help.
- Questions : common questions that didn’t fit in other places.
- Concepts : quick links to key concepts like magic, ethics, and divination.
- Resources : additional resources that you might find useful.
- New graphics on each page that indicate what the focus of the page is.
- Updating formatting to be consistent across all the pages of the site.
- Updating tags, menus, and other navigational tools.
Basically all the pages that were here are still here, but some of them have been added to an archive page (and are not included in tag or the category pages linked at the top menu)
I spent a chunk of time doing some writing in November, and here are five new pages for the site.
- Hidden aspects of Wikipedia : How to make the most of Wikipedia.
- Why religious witchcraft : some reasons you might or might not want to consider it as your path.
- Using technology in your magical life
- Getting the most out of community events
- Self-care in difficult times
I’m planning to do some major rearranging at the end of the month (probably right between Solstice and Christmas), so you can expect to see things moved around to make them easier to find.
I have been writing new things! Just not making them very obvious. Here are the new pages since last May.
July found me finishing a whole set of essays about libraries, librarianship, and research. I hope they’ll explain some of the not-helpful mysteries of how libraries work so you can find awesome resources.
- Libraries and Librarians : Overview for people who aren’t one about what they can do for you.
- What makes a librarian : Information about librarians, their education, and the profession.
- Getting less common material : How to use interlibrary loan (and what it does), as well as getting access to unusual collections, academic resources if you’re not an academic, etc.
- How academic publishing works : So you can put academic articles in perspective.
- The problem with “Just Google it” or “Look at Wikipedia” : an explanation of filter bubbles, varying search techniques, and other things that affect what different people find online.
- Evaluating an academic article : What the title says, focused on evaluation for religious use.
- Deepening a relationship with a deity : Ideas for getting to know a deity better.
- What are the actual risks? Drawn from a conversation about the risks of magic and ritual.
- Getting the most out of public events : Different kinds of Pagan events and how to make the most of them.
I’m slowly working on some behind the scenes editing to make headers and other formatting more consistent across the site (as part of improving accessibility). I have plans for some design changes later this winter (new graphics, I don’t expect to be making major layout changes.) I’ve got about four dozen articles I’ve got notes for, and am hoping to get a fair number added in the next two or three months too.
Drop me a note via the contact form if there are things you’d particularly like to see!
A new page on protection practices is now up (and linked on the Practices page). I anticipate some other new additions in the next few weeks: I’ll post here when they go up.
I may also move some items around in the next month or so, to organize things better.
As you can see, I’ve made some cosmetic changes. All the same pages are still here, but I’ll be moving some things around and creating new links. As I do major notes, I’ll put a comment in the blog.
(If you want actual blog posts, go check out Limen: Thoughts from a Threshold, where I put long-form commentary not suitable for this Seeking site.)