This page covers some basics: what Paganism is, what religious witchcraft and Wicca are, and some other topics that will help you get your bearing. Take a look around the site if you’ve got questions (the tabs across the top link to all the index pages), but if you still can’t find an answer, you can email me through the contact form. I like questions, so chances are good you’ll get an answer.
Before you start, here are some good things to know.
What is Paganism?
The first question for many people is “What is Paganism anyway?” Good question.
The short version is that Paganism is the umbrella term for a group of religions that don’t necessarily have a whole lot in common. Except that there is, in fact, enough overlap that it’s worth talking about them together. Here are some resources to help you with that question.
- My answer to “What is Paganism?”
- eCauldron’s Pagan Primer and Teens and Paganism FAQ (a great intro for people of any age.)
What is Wicca? And what is religious witchcraft?
People use the term ‘Wicca’ in a wide range of ways – which can get really confusing. Below, I do my best to untangle some of this for you.
- My take:
- The Wiccan Church of Canada’s Frequently Asked Questions files - some items are specific to their groups, but the first section is a great starting place for anyone interested in Wicca and religious witchcraft.
- And another good introduction to traditional and non-traditional Wicca from Blue Moon Circle.
- How do Pagans look at deity? Here are some views of deity
- What is magic?
- The question of ethics from a Pagan perspective..
- What might someone’s daily/monthly practice look like? (A sample)
[last edited October 28, 2011]